Friday, June 20, 2014

Friends Friday: Meagan

Name: Meagan Thompson
Age: 23
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Occupation: Elementary school teacher


What does your average day look like? 
Since I've started my new job, I wake up early, before the sun, and spend 8 hours with twenty 6-9 year olds. Most of it is great, but about 15% of my days is telling kids to get their hands out of their mouths. Then I come home and sleep.

What is your favorite thing about being a teacher? And what is your favorite grade to teach? 
I love how smart kids are, and how excited they can be to learn. I've taught all ages now, and they're all great for different reasons. Middle schoolers get my sarcasm more, but the little ones are just so adorable.

What do you do with your spare time? 
Mostly, I read. Or nap. Or binge-watch Netflix. I also basically collect hobbies so I do a bunch of different things: paint, make jewelry, scrapbook. I go through phases where one hobby will take over all of my time.

You like cooking: what do you like to cook? 
I really love to bake. I would make cupcakes every day if I didn't think I'd eat them all. Since becoming vegetarian, I really like to experiment with making my favorite meat dishes vegetarian friendly.

What inspires you? 
My family. They're always followed their dreams, even when it's scary or a big risk. That inspires me to do the same. In terms of creating art, being outside, experiencing nature, inspires me.

Favorite quote and why? 
"It'll all be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." When I was 16, I got sick. Then I got cancer (so I got sicker, basically), and this quote reminded me that it wouldn't be forever.

Any weird hobbies or things you can do? 
Um, not weird, really, but I'm just really crafty. I'm that person that actually makes the stuff I pin on Pinterest. Like, I made about 30 felt owl ornaments one Christmas.

What made you want to be a teacher? 
I had a few really fantastic teachers that made such an impact on my life. I knew I wanted to do that for someone else. Plus, I get along better with kids than with adults...

Where do you want to take your passion? What is your "dream" job? 
My dream job is to be a professor. I'd still get to teach, but I'd also get to do research and write-something else I really love to do. It's like my two favorite things rolled into one job.


You can follow Meagan on Pinterest and Instagram.

P.S.-A recipe of Meagan's may be coming soon! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment