Monday, May 6, 2013

Not so perfect...

There comes a time in one's life when you kind of just have to let go of trying to be/act perfect. I think, for me, I've let different parts of my perfectionistic ways go at different times in my life. Now, I'm not saying that I'm not still a perfectionist, because if you saw me writing a paper or even this post, you would realize that I am. Don't get me wrong though, there are usually clothes strewn all over my room and I'm terrible at vacuuming, so obviously it's not everything (I just fixed this sentence about 5 times for instance).
You may be wondering why this topic is coming up, so we'll get right to that. I dropped my GPA a little bit this semester. At first, everything inside me cringed when I realized it had dropped some. Yeah, I'm one of those people that is super concerned with her own grades. However, as I started to complain to my best friend about my seeming failure, I realized how fickle and ridiculous I was being for getting so upset about it. As I put it to her, there are people starving in other countries, and I'm living my precious American college girl lifestyle complaining about a couple of B's. It's not that grades aren't important, because they are, but I did try this semester. I'll admit I took a few too many Pinterest/Facebook breaks, but I tried and it's a lesson learned for me. I set really high standards for myself and I'm still not totally okay with the B's, but life goes on and grades get forgotten. The grades don't define me, I make them. They aren't stamped on my forehead the rest of my life thank goodness.
So, yeah, I'm that girl that gets upset over a few not-so-satisfactory-to-her grades, but God's working on me. I'm having to realize that I'm not those grades, I'm who I am in Christ and that is more ultimate than anything else. We all need to believe that more and I'm praying we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment