Friday, March 28, 2014

Friends Friday: Michaella Jelin

Name: Michaella Jelin
Age: 20
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Occupation: Photographer, Designer, and Student 


 Isn't she gorgeous?! I have hair-envy!
How did you get into photography and design? 
I’ve always had a passion for art, growing up with an Architect as a dad, I’ve been surrounded by it and influenced by it since day 1.  I spent my younger years in the performing arts, and spent most of my life wanting to be a professional musician when I grew up.  I would draw and doodle on everything, but didn’t really ever think much of it. It wasn’t until my sophomore year in high school that I discovered my passion for photography and design.  I signed up for a digital imaging course on a whim, and it really was love at first shot.  I saved up all my money for a starter DSLR camera, and took pictures of everything and anything.  I truly owe my whole career to that first imaging course I took at Model High School (in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan).  Without it, I’m not sure when/if I would’ve discovered my love and passion for photography and design. 

What does your average day look like? 
As a student, during the school year my days are pretty crazy. I typically wake up in the morning, make myself a pot of french press, plan out what my day is going to look like, and start tackling it.  This semester, I have later afternoon/night classes, so I spend my mornings working on a mix of freelance design or photography jobs, and the mass amounts of homework I have.  After making myself lunch, and getting ready for the day, I drive my 30 minute commute to Atlanta, and am in class until 8-8:30 at night.  If I’m not staying after class at school to finish up projects, I’m either taking a break spending some time with friends, or driving back home to finish up some work and get some sleep.  Although being a student and doing my own design & photography thing on the side is crazy busy, if there’s anything I’ve learned, it’s that I can’t do it all even thought I want to. Taking time everyday to relax, even if just for a half hour at the end of the day is crucial. 

What is one thing you can't live without? 
A camera of some sort. Whether it’s my iPhone camera or my professional one, I can never go anywhere without one. There are too many inspiring moments that happen every day I want to document and save for later inspiration. 

Any secret hobbies?
Although it’s not really a hobby anymore, I used to play ice hockey when I lived in Michigan, and loved it. Unfortunately, it’s not too big of a sport down here in Georgia, but I still try and go skating when I can! And I love watching my Detroit Red Wings play some puck!
What is your go-to outfit? 
A floral dress + combat boots. I can’t live without my various pairs of combat boots! 

Where do you find inspiration for your work? 
The biggest inspirations I find are all around me, in my every day life. I find beauty in the small things, the small details of life and people I meet. I truly think everything and everyone is beautiful in their own quirky unique ways, and taking the time to take in all of my surroundings is my biggest inspiration. It can be something as simple as the way the sunlight hits my table in the morning, or the way someone sits in a coffee shop. There’s inspiration literally everywhere, you just have to be open to noticing it. People and their stories inspire me more than anything, it’s why I do what I do.
You can also see more of what inspires me on my instagram (@yellowbirdvisuals) or on my pinterest (@michaellajelin)
If you could give advice to your 16 year old self, what would it be? 
Oh gosh, the things I wouldn’t tell my 16 year old self! The biggest thing I would tell myself, is to be patient. To enjoy every moment, and to appreciate everything for what it is. The grass is never greener on the other side, and patience really is a virtue.  I would also tell my past (and current) self to not put so much pressure on myself. The big guy upstairs has got a plan for me, I just have to work hard, stay humble, and have faith in myself, and things will work out eventually the way they’re meant to be. Stressing out does nothing but pull you back. 

Current obsessions?
Plants, iced coffee, hats, sparkling lemonade, all things gold and yellow, and dreaming of traveling around the country in an airstream.

Coffee or tea or neither? 
Coffee by day, tea by night. Although if forced to choose between the two, I would definitely pick coffee, it’s my lifeline.  


You can check out Michaella's Pinterest, Instagram, and Website.

No comments:

Post a Comment