Friday, March 21, 2014

Friends Friday: "Grandpa"

At first, he was just your average customer. Then I started to realize he came in nearly everyday. After many meetings, and considering he knew my name from a nametag, I asked his name. He was my friend after that. He's an old man with long sideburns and a goatee. I've never seen him without his baseball cap or grey jacket. He comes in and gets lunch, dinner, or a snack. He never wants his receipt or a bag-just paid stickers-bright orange and obvious, printed with "PAID, THANK YOU." He pays for his food and sits by Starbucks. His general greeting is "Hey Hun!" When he pays for his food he always tells me I'm making him poor, but tells me to come get a coffee at Starbucks-he's buying. When I get off at 2 every Saturday, he comes in and waits for me at Starbucks to buy me a drink. Then I sit and he tells me stories from his 75 years. He jokes on me and I laugh as he eats ribs or something and I drink coffee/creamer. We part ways. I say "Thank you" and he says, "you're very welcome Hun!" Our weeks then start over again. We call him Grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment