Friday, April 25, 2014

Friends Friday: Andrea Celada

Name: Andrea Celada
Age: 21 
Location: Irvine, CA
Occupation: Full Time Student



How did you get into design and drawing?
I always loved coloring and drawing as a little girl, so in some ways I got into it because it's just what I was naturally drawn to. Instagram played a large part in it recently because it allowed an entire space for me to post things I designed and drew. On top of that, it gets shared so quickly with so many people so that has really allowed me to hear from others that design is something I could pursue. People say the nicest things on there!

How old were you when you got into design?
The stuff that I design mostly involves bible verses, and I had never even read the Bible until 4 years ago so I was around 17. I loved that the verses and stories were full of pictures and that really opened tons of possibilities for me to design things that went along with verses.

What does your average day look like? 
Because I'm a full time college student much of my time still revolves around a school schedule (but not for much longer, only 2 months till graduation!) So on an average day I would spend some time alone on campus (usually at Starbucks), catch up on homework or doodle, go to class, work, and then hang out with room mates or friends at the end of the day. And a lot of the hanging out with friends with room mates and friends involves going out to eat, which is always fun. 
What is your favorite thing to design? (logos, cards, etc)
I definitely love making cards, I think a part of the reason it's my favorite is because they're small enough to put anywhere. I usually keep cards in my folder for school, but I like that they can be framed or given away for something special. I'm a big fan of writing notes and letters so cards are perfect for that! 


Where is your dream vacation?
I recently went on a trip with my best friends from High School and it was so much fun, so a dream vacation would have to include them. They're silly and super easy going so I'd love to be with them on a vacation again. I think it would be fun if we went somewhere out of the country so we could experience tons of new stuff together. So I guess with all that being said, I would say Ireland! I don't know exactly which part or what we'd do there but I think I'd love it. I've heard only good things from people who have been there. 

Current obsessions?
My current obsession, and my continuous obsession, is YouTube! I hate to admit it sometimes but I seriously love browsing around at all the live music. I usually start at a band or a person I know but it eventually leads me to new music, which I love. If I'm not doing that on YouTube, I'm watching all the singing competition videos. There's so much talent out there!

How do you think your parents, siblings, and friends impacted your passion for design?
My family and friends are the sweetest when it comes to me designing things, they are always encouraging me to do more which really helps me move forward. And I also think that because my parents are pretty creative people that it carried down into who I am. My dad loves doing wood work and he draws every once and a while (he should really draw more though, he's good) and my mom is a seamstress and knows so much about fabrics and colors. So even though those things aren't specifically the type of design I'm into, they definitely passed on a creative eye to me.
What is your favorite thing you’ve designed/made?
This is probably my favorite piece and it's because of all the meaning that the verse carries for me. It was based off of Psalm 143:8, that says "Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life." The verse helped me so much two summers ago, and it was something that really grew my relationship with God.

Where do you want to take your passion? What is your dream job?
With college coming to an end, I feel like I've thought so much about what my dream job would be and how my passion for design would be involved with that. I think I've come to an answer - I'd love to use my passion for design as a way to raise support to do ministry. I'm going to be doing full time collegiate ministry my first year (and hopefully second year too) out of college with a non-profit Christian organization. That involves raising thousands and thousands of dollars, so my dream is to be able to sell cards I've designed to get there. I think it'll be amazing to get to share God through art to people I may not even know and to share God through my own story on a college campus.
Any advice for aspiring designers/artists?
If I were to give any advice it would be to be okay with not feeling creative all the time. I sometimes get so frustrated when I want to sit and draw but I can't think of anything to draw or when I don't like anything I am drawing. I've learned to just let it go and get back to it when I have the inspiration for something. In the end, some of the greatest things come out when you didn't even mean to sit and draw that day.


No comments:

Post a Comment